Bob Gurr



When I worked for the Betz & Peters Vintage Ferrari Collection I was drawn to (and drew from) a wonderful series of photographs they had of the Ferrari and Pininfarina factories taken by Bob Gurr in 1953. Bob is known to most people as being the original Imagineer at Disney. Walt often spoke about Disneyland as being an experiment in transportation, that each "ride" represented a different mode of getting around that may have applications in the community. Whether you are on the People Mover, the Monorail or Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, you are on a system designed by Bob Gurr. If you're not impressed with submarines, wheels or motors, you might think the audio-animatronic Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is cool. Another one of Bob's creations. 
A long time ago Matt Stroud introduced me to the work of Herb Ryman. Actually I was very familiar with his work, just never put a name to it. Herb is an incredible artist and is responsible for the "look" of Disneyland and many Disney films. I had friends who were on the Board of the Ryman Foundation and expressed an interest in it. Soon I was invited to show at a gala in the Hollywood Hills along with Chip Foose and, you got it, Bob Gurr.
I've wanted to talk to him about his '53 Italian trip for years and the opportunity has never come up until now. He is good friends with Randy Ema (who I count as one of my good friends), and I thought I'd use Randy as a key to open the door. Well, it wasn't necessary; Bob's door is wide open and he is fun and accessible guy.  We talked about Randy, Bob's work, my work and finally about the '53 trip. This led to further email exchanges and more photos back and forth and eventually some loose ends and mysteries were resolved.
If you get a chance, look Bob and Herb up on the internet. You'll find their hands in every aspect of Disney's uniqueness and success.